Sunday, March 14, 2010

What Motivated Me...

Culture, Race, and Media made a big impact on me last semester here at Columbia College. I was blown away when I was forced to think about things that I have never thought about before. I accepted certain social injustices because that is just what I thought I was supposed to do, but I learned that they were issues that I need to learn about. I needed to open my mind up to certain situations. I was a little bit uncomfortable in the class in the beginning, but I soon learned that my words really meant something and I needed to open my mouth and let me classmates know how I really felt about the subjects we were being taught. When I found out about this Documenting Social Injustice class, I knew that I had to broaden my horizons even more to really get a taste of what is really happening out there in the real world.

Knowing that I could potentially help people by taking this class really motivated me. I have always thought of helping people in need, but I've never actually done anything to help. I knew that this was my chance to really put myself out there and open my eyes to things that I hadn't before. I was tired of sitting around and letting life pass me by. I knew that I had to become active and really do something important to help people around me instead of just worrying about myself all the time. Even though I will be faced with situations where I may not know what to do, I will definitely do my best to work hard and achieve something that I've never done before. That is my goal in this class. I hope that I will become a better and more well-rounded person after exposing myself to this new way of thinking and analyzing certain issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment